Monday, February 6, 2012

Emperor Qin Shi Huangdi Revealed: An Interview with Emperor Qin


Q: How old were you when you first became emperor? Do you think you were ready?
A: I was thirteen when I first took the throne. I believe I was ready. I had watched my father rule for so many years. But when I started out, it was very difficult. The seven warring states were all fighting for power. It was hard, but I worked through it and learned as I grew.

Q: Why did you order all books not related to your reign to be burned?
A: Well, during the Waring States Period, there really wasn’t any control or rules. Therefore, people started to develop creative thinking. Naturally people are bad and if you let their minds get too far ahead of them, they will turn evil. I ordered these books to be burned to stabilize their minds, so they won’t turn evil.

Q: What are some of your greatest achievements? Why?
A: I would say during my reign, I have accomplished 2 major things:
1-The great wall of China, and
2- My tomb

The Great Wall is probably my biggest and wisest achievement. Although it is still incomplete, it will do a remarkable job of protecting China, and keeping out invaders. It will also show the power of this dynasty.

My tomb is my personal favorite, and great accomplishment. It is very big and it will have sculptures of every soldier in my army there to protect me in the afterlife. It has taken years to build, and is also currently incomplete. I believe a great emperor like me should be remembered forever. This is why I had the tomb built.
Q: Why did you decide to unify China?
A: Before I came into power. Our people were savages. No discipline, no set rules, no communication, no unification. I wanted to unify China by putting one unit of measurements, one language, one way that everyone from all parts of China could understand. Then I set laws, and I believe I changed China for the better.

Q: Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to take this interview. Which son will take your place when you can no longer?
A: Thank you for having me. I will most likely pass the throne to my eighteenth son, Hu Hai. He is very knowledgable and a great warrior. As for when I die. That day will hopefully not happen, because I plan on becoming immortal.  


Painting of Emperor Qin Shi HuangDi

chinapage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment